Essential Question: How did the mission system, under the supervision of the Franciscans, impact the people of Jemez Pueblo?
Your students will answer this question after doing vocabulary study and investigating both primary and secondary source documents: a photograph of an historic mission church as well as some mystery fragments which they will identify; a secondary source article written by the Regional Manager of Jemez Historic Site, and seventeenth century primary source documents and information! Students will use survey information from primary source data to chart and analyze Pueblo population in New Mexico.
The lesson plans are written to address both Common Core and New Mexico state history standards. A Powerpoint presentation is included as well to make discussion easy and fun with a large group!
Objective: After completing this lesson, students will be able to:
- Cite textual evidence to support analysis of primary and secondary sources;
- Learn and apply vocabulary appropriate to this unit in a written assessment;
- Determine the central idea of primary and secondary sources, including architecture, photography, and population data
- Create a project to demonstrate synthesis of primary and secondary source information.
- Common Core Standards for Literacy in History/Social Studies 6-12: RH.6-8.1, RH.6-8.2,RH.6-8..4, RH.6-8.6, RH.6-8.7, RH.6-8.8, RH.6-8.9
- New Mexico Grade 5-8 Benchmark I-D Skills – Performance Standards I-A.4, I-C.1, I-D.1, I-D.2, 2-C.1
Recommended as a lesson for your students to work on either before or after your visit to Jemez Historic Site, this lesson will stand alone without the field trip, if it is impossible for you to visit us.
Teacher Resources to accompany this lesson:
- PowerPoint – A Mission Church at Jemez Pueblo
- PowerPoint in PDF – A Mission Church at Jemez Pueblo
- Document A – Primary Source Photograph
- Document C – Primary Source Text and Student Handout
- Document D – Pueblo Indian Population Chart from Primary Sources
- Document E – Secondary Source Article
- Student Handout – Vocabulary Crossword Puzzle to follow Document E
- Teacher Key – Vocabulary Crossword Puzzle
- Project-Based Assessment Handout and Grading Rubric