Visiting Coronado Historic Site !
Thank you for choosing a truly memorable educational experience for yourself, and your students or group at the site of the ancient village of Kuaua. Here, centuries of quiet Puebloan life dramatically changed forever at the sudden arrival of the Coronado expedition. You can experience descending into a kiva, trying on Spanish armor, and exploring our newly redesigned museum exhibits, guided by knowledgeable docents and educators!
Our Goals at Coronado Historic Site
- To protect the unique historical and archaeological resources of Coronado Historic Site for future generations to enjoy;
- To provide a safe and educational settling for you and your students to learn about these unique and amazing resources;
- To fulfill our mission to preserve and share New Mexico’s proud and diverse cultural heritage with our students of all ages.
Scheduling Your Visit – Plan Ahead!
As always, planning ahead is the key to ensuring an enjoyable educational experience for all! : )
- To make a reservation for an educational tour, please contact us at least two-four weeks prior to the desired date of your visit.
- The tour will be a 60-90 minute narrated walk through our new museum exhibits, outside trails, kiva, mural and art rooms.
- The museum, main interpretive trail, and restroom facilities are all handicap accessible.
- There are picnic tables in front of the main building and along the river, if you choose to bring lunches to eat on site!
Student or Tour Groups:
- For safety reasons, please plan on a teacher/ chaperone ratio of one for each ten students.
- All school and student educational groups are FREE, including adult chaperones.
- Please use the form below to schedule for an educational group. It is important that you schedule ahead so that we can do our best to have enough staff present on site to take care of your students. If the date you requested isn’t available, we will contact you by email to schedule another date.
- We welcome church groups, home school associations, and mentoring programs as well as classrooms.
- There is not a play area for children, so at all times, students must be supervised and not allowed to run around off trails or pick up artifacts.
- Free, standards based lessons are available on this website at http://www.kuaua.com under the Education tab. Use them for pre- or post- field trip enrichment!
SUBMIT YOUR GROUP TOUR REQUEST!
We are excited to welcome your school or tour group to Coronado Historic Site! 🙂 Steps to planning a group tour:
- Read the information in the Group / Educator’s Tour Brochure. (click to view)
- Sign up for a field trip or group tour by using the form below.
- If you are scheduled for a tour on your requested date, you will get a confirmation email back which guarantees you the saved date and includes all the information you need to know.
- If your date is already taken, an email will be sent to let you know available dates, or we will call you to make a reservation.
- If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please be sure to schedule several weeks ahead, as dates fill up soon!